Monday, February 09, 2009

Lessons From a Cart

Well since the week before Christmas I have been classroomless. It has been quite an adjustment! I had already lost half of my instruments to a storage unit since my room in the fall was small, now I am reduced to what ever can fit on a cart I roll from room to room. At first I was trying to do my lessons as I always have and creating a totally different lesson for every grade. Then I simplified and started doing a lesson that would work for 2 grades. Last week however I did the same lesson with every grade level with slight variations and it worked beautifully! The kids had a great time learning about Chinese New Year and the 5th graders were just as amazed by the Chinese Lion dancing as the Kindergartners! This was the video that they were all amazed by and I was totally amazed myself even after watching it over 20 times.



This week I am doing "Frog When a Courtin'." We are reading the book and listening to 4 different versions, did you know Bruce Springsteen even sang the song. We were also playing along using whatever they can find at their seat to make music and performing a folk dance. I have changed it slightly for each grade level but they have had a blast. I am finally gonna get the hang of all this and then I will have to switch back to having a classroom. Oh well it is a good experience and I have an even greater appreciation for new room that is for sure!!

No comments: